Friday, September 24, 2010

Typhoon Fanabi

Well to say that a typhoon blew in to town would be an understatement. We had a major typhoon come through. It made landfall in Hualien County so we took the blunt of the storm. There were winds that were sustained at 220 km/h. We were prepared and so we rented 4 DVD's and bunkered down for the long haul. Unfortunately it came on a Sunday, so not only did we not miss any work, we also missed church. We were very fortunate in the fact that our only damages were that a piece of plastic overhang on a balcony broke and we had a screen on one of our windows blow away. We didn't even lose power. However, most people weren't so lucky. When I went to work the next morning it was like driving through an obstacle course. There were signs, power lines, trees and telephone poles scattered all over the road. In some places cars were flipped over and others had been crushed by falling debris. The other thing that I noticed was that my garden was completely stripped of everything in it. I had no more weeds and definitely no more vegetables. All I had was flat dirt. Most of the farmers took heavy losses. However, it was even worse in the south as they got enormous amounts of rain which caused major flooding again to the area. Luckily we didn't have to deal with that because the bone head government down there is requiring you to have 4 pictures of your house flooded to prove that you can seek reimbursement. Like who would worry about taking pictures during a time like that? Well like I said, our Heavenly Father looked over and protected our little family and for that we are grateful.

No comments: