Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Importance of Prayer

We normally all leave at different times in the morning and most times when I leave in the morning at the most only James and I are up. However, this Wednesday I was running a little behind schedule and Jennifer was up earlier than normal with the two boys reviewing some of their homework before they went to school. Knowing that I was already late I was surprised by the impression to have family prayer, especially since we so rarely have it in the morning. Yet, I decided to take the time to do so. By the time that I gathered everyone around and had prayer I was about another ten minutes later. Normally I would be a little upset about this since punctuality is always something that matters so much to me. Again, I was surprised that I didn't feel upset and felt like I did the right thing. Only until I had drove a few miles down the rode towards the university did I realize why everything seemed so right this morning even though so many things had gone not according to plan. There had been a terrible accident. I drunk had crashed into a light pole and then swerved back across two lanes of traffic running into the divider blocking the road. Judging by the looks of things, I figure it would have happened about the same time I would have passed that same area if I had left the time I normally do. Thus, that simple family prayer probably saved me from a major accident and possibly from loss of my own life. If you remember the scene from Benjamin Button when he is talking about all the little things that could have happened differently that might have prevented her getting hit by the car. That is how I felt, except for the fact that all these little things happened in a way that made it so I didn't get hit. I am thankful that my Heavenly Father was looking out for me.

No comments: