Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gardening again

Well it has been a couple of years since I had a garden. Even though I have been really busy I have been looking for a place to garden. I still enjoy going out and getting my hands dirty and relaxing in a garden. I used to wonder why my dad enjoyed being in the garden so much, but it is a great way to relax and to it also provides time to think about my own life. Well a few weeks ago, I started working on a new garden. I realized that I have around half an acre of area just above my house that I can use. So I have started planting a garden on my roof. It isn't your typical garden, but it is a garden and gives us a way to provide for some of our own food. We collect Styrofoam boxes from the fish fenders and fill them with dirt and plant seeds. One of the great things is that their is no weeding yet, because the only thing that has gone in the boxes is the potters soil and the seeds. We should be eating some of the stuff and this Saturday I may even look for some small fruit trees that can be kept in large pots as well as do some more planting of boxes. You can grow about anything and in the 8 boxes we started with we have asparagus, spinach, water connvovulus, carrots, and Chinese cabbage. Things are great. Now my only concern is what to do when I am in America.

No comments: